There are a few variations of intermittent fasting:
- 5/2: Eat healthy for 5 days and then take in very limited calories (about 500) for 2 days. The idea is to still make healthy choices but not based on any food group.
- Alternating Days: very low calorie 1 day and eat what you would like on the next day.
- 16/8: Eat 5-6 meals within an 8-hour timeframe such as 8 am – 4 pm.
- Likely cannot exercise on fasting days due to low calories
- You may feel tired, have a lower energy level on fasting days
- Likely not sustainable long-term although some people do make this a lifestyle
- Large abandonment rate
- Does not address exercise or fit lifestyle mentality, which is important for sustainable long-term weight loss and health
- The diet is not suitable for everyone, especially if you have insulin-dependent diabetes, are pregnant, a child or teenager or have an eating disorder.