Be bouncy and buoyant in the Nike Air VaporMax Flyknit 3. A high fashion–inspired upper features flowing lines of breathable, stretchable Flyknit construction. Revolutionary VaporMax Air technology keeps a spring in your step with toe-to-heel cushioning.
- VaporMax Air technology provides soft, lightweight responsiveness.
- Flyknit upper seamlessly integrates breathability, stretch and support.
- Textured upper takes inspiration from the flowing, linear lines of couture fashion.
- Flywire cables work with the laces to provide more support as you tighten them.
- Strategic engineering creates contoured cushioning that sits directly underfoot and flexes with your stride.
- Tongue label draws inspiration from patches on Apollo space suits.
- Integrated lugs across the outsole create bouncy traction.
- Rubber pods in high-wear areas enhance durability.
- Shown: Hydrogen Blue/Light Blue/Barely Volt/White
- Style: AJ6910-401
Behind the Design
The Air VaporMax represents a new era in Nike innovation. “It’s changed our whole philosophy on how we design for Air,” says Cushioning Innovation Designer Zachary Elder. With the VaporMax, the designers wanted to truly capture the feeling of ‘running on air.’ The designers started by restructuring the Air unit so they could attach it directly to the upper. “That was the biggest challenge,” says Tom Minami, Senior Footwear Designer – but it was worth it. “Without any midsole or sockliner, you get to feel the Air in a whole new way.” In previous Air Max models, the goal was to fill the sole with as much Air as possible, but with the VaporMax, the focus is on using the Air efficiently. “As you step down, each lug gets pushed into the Air unit, ramping up the pressure,” Elder explains. “As you step off, the pressure releases, creating that springy bounce.” After the seven-year journey from ideation to release, Elder and Minami are excited for what’s to come. “I’m super proud of the product,” Elder says. “This new approach is going to be a huge turning point for Air – and for Nike.”